Olmstead Hill Farm Fields
The Black family acquired the property in 1958. Earlier owners included members of the Olmstead family with Charles Olmstead building the original house some time before 1823. In October of 1999 the Town of Wilton purchased a conservation easement over the property to ensure the land will be protected.
Sitting at the crest of Olmstead Hill Road the farm features rolling vistas of stone wall-lined fields against a woodland backdrop. The farm, still cultivated for hay, supports several horses and goats. Records from the Wilton Historical Society list the Black Farm “… as one of the finest and most complete complexes in Wilton.”
Trail layout changes seasonally in response to hay production, livestock location and weather conditions. The kiosk at the entrance will provide the current trail configuration. For the most part, the trails will provide the walker with the opportunity to transverse in and around rolling pastures, thick white pine and deciduous wetland forest communities, old wood roads and farm appurtenances.
Visitors to this farm are reminded that it still actively supports livestock. All gates must be closed securely behind you. Also, because of the animals and hay production, walkers must stay on the trails. Equestrian visitors are welcome. Lastly, please remember the farm is the Black family’s house and it is the responsibility of each of us not to damage or intrude upon their home.
Directions: Olmstead Hill Farm Fields
Acreage: ± 50 acres with 42 acres under conservation easement.
Parking: Along the split-rail fence that fronts Route 33, or just north of the property on Carriage Road.
Access: Entrances located approximately 100 feet north of the house and barn opposite Hemmelskamp Road, and off the western end of St. John’s Place
Restrictions: No dogs are permitted
Trails: Change seasonally (see kiosk)
Ownership: Black Family with conservation easements granted to the Town of Wilton and the Wilton Land Conservation Trust
Land Trust Contact: Wilton Land Conservation Trust